What Is Church
The local church exists wherever believers (those who confess Jesus as Lord) are covenanted under the authority of the Bible. In obedience to Scripture they organize under qualified leadership, gather regularly for preaching, teaching and worship, observe the Biblical sacraments of Baptism and Communion, are unified by the Holy Spirit, are disciplined for holiness, and scatter to fulfill the Great Commandment and the Great Commission as missionaries to the world for God’s glory and their joy.
What all that means is that the goal of our meetings is to encourage one another to worship God – not just then and there, but throughout the week as well. Worship is about the whole of life rather than just the meetings. Our meetings offer the gospel to the community around us.
In summary this means:
– Church exists wherever believers are covenanted together under the Bible
– Mission is the central purpose of the church in the world
– All believers are witnesses to the Good News of Jesus Christ
– The Gospel drives us out of our cosy, safe comfort zone
– Gospel ministry is contemporary, daring and Biblical
– Church is an extended family
– Church activity is people-centred rather than program-centred
– Leaders provide an environment in which people can flourish
– All church structures and activities should be evaluated by how they help the spread of the gospel